BEIJOS EATS | FEBURARY 2, 2024
whip it up honey! I’m about too!
Get ready to indulge in a mouth-watering whipped ricotta with lemon curd and honey that will make your taste buds dance in delight! This scrumptious appetizer is the perfect way to welcome Spring. It’s super easy to whip up in just under 5 minutes, and trust me, it’s worth every second. The tangy, zesty, and sweet flavors are beautifully paired, creating a heavenly treat everyone will love. To add charm, you can garnish it with pretty spring edible flowers and even make it pink with some dragonfruit powder. This appetizer is so effortless yet so yummy. Take advantage of this Spring’s must-try dish! It’s an appetizer everyone will enjoy in the warmer days ahead.
*photography by Dayna Studios
THIS IS INCREDIBLY EASY TO MAKE
While writing this recipe, I often wonder if people question the catchy saying, “It only takes 5 minutes,” to have them choose your recipe over the ten others they can find on Pinterest. But trust me, this is incredibly easy to make. You can whip up this creamy and velvety ricotta in 5 minutes. Add dragonfruit powder to give it a pink hue, drizzle some lemon curd, and garnish with herbs and edible flowers. Voila! You have a delicious appetizer you can make in no time.
A VERSATILE SPREAD FOR ALL!
I just wanted to share my love for ricotta cheese with you. It’s an incredibly versatile ingredient that can be paired with all sorts of delicious flavors. If you’re not a fan of lemon curd, no worries! Plenty of other options include fruity preserves, marinated citrus or tomatoes, or even grilled grapes. And if you’re looking for something simple, add a sprinkle of lemon zest and fresh thyme. Seriously, this cheese is perfect for any mealtime, and it’s always a hit when you’re hosting friends and family. Give it a try!
THE INGREDIENTS FOR WHIPPED RICOTTA
whole milk ricotta. To achieve an incredibly rich and creamy whipped ricotta, you want to use whole milk ricotta. The whole milk gives the whipped ricotta a velvety texture that melts in your mouth. However, if you only have part-skim ricotta in your fridge, don’t worry; it’ll still work fine. The whipped ricotta will be less creamy but still tastes delicious.
olive oil. High-quality olive oil adds a luxurious note to the whipped ricotta. It also gives the whipped ricotta a silky texture that complements the creamy ricotta.
lemon zest. Ricotta and olive oil have a rich and savory flavor, so adding some fresh and zesty lemon zest balances the flavors thoroughly. The lemon zest gives the whipped ricotta a bright and refreshing taste, making it perfect for warm days and nights. If you don’t have lemons, you can also use oranges, adding a sweet and tangy flavor to the whipped ricotta.
fresh herbs. Incorporating fresh herbs like basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, mint, and rosemary with whipped ricotta can create an explosion of flavors in your mouth. The herbs add freshness to the creamy and savory whipped ricotta.
A Floral Whipped Ricotta Toast with Lemon Curd & Honey
- 1 15 ounces container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more as needed
- Zest of 1 lemon more for garnish
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh herbs such as oregano, basil, and/or thyme
- Edible flowers
- Pink dragonfruit powder if achieving pink color
- Lemon curd
- Honey for garnish
- In a food processor or stand mixer, combine the ricotta cheese, olive oil, lemon zest, and salt and pepper. You can also add in some fresh herbs at this time as well.
- Process until smooth and creamy. You might need to scrape down the sides a few times to incorporate it evenly. If you are going to want to make it pink, simply add a couple scoops of dragonfruit powder. Process until you get your desired color. Start small and work more into if you need.
- Transfer the whipped ricotta to a bowl. Take your toasts and grill them up. When ready to serve, pipe your ricotta cheese on top of the grilled toasts. Then garnish with a dollop of lemon curd, drizzle of honey, and lastly fresh herbs and edible flowers. You can even combine the ricotta cheese mixture into a piping bag along with the lemon curd to create a fun swirl effect like I did here. Simply, put in equal parts mixture and lemon curd side by side into a piping bag. Serve right away!